By Kor Bosch and Andrew Dunn
Age of Chivalry – a total conversion modification pack for Age of Empires II: the Conquerors set in Western and Central Europe 1100-1500 AD.
Requires the C patch.
The Middle Ages are a popular period in history. Subjects like the Hundred Years War, the feudal system, the papacy and the crusades still grab the attention of many. Age of Empires II was intended to reflect this period, but left something to be desired. To make the game more accurate, therefore, and focused on the Western and Central European theatre, Andrew Dunn and myself set out to adjust the original and create a whole new gaming experience! In addition changing every single civilisation in the game, we are introducing many new units, new, civilisation-specific buildings (the Princely Court, the Assembly Hall and the Guild Hall) as well as over a dozen new technologies, policy decisions, a mercenary system, new combat dynamics, a new random map AI, and even an extensive history section. Yes, that’s right: we’re replacing all the civilisations in the game with new ones!
Wide support for scenario-only objects is included, and to showcase these a multi-scenario campaign is included with the mod itself. Multiplayer and random map balance has been tweaked, and with the new civilisations joining the mix, the European battles are even better!
• Command one of three types of civilisation: the early-game Communal civilisations, the mid-game, militia/spear-centred Urban societies or the heavy infantry/cavalry Noble principalities
• Prepare to fight! Changed game mechanics ensure a much earlier start to the combat, with archery units available in the first age and castles and battering rams in the second
• Complement your armies with mercenaries like the Genoese Crossbowman, the Privateer, Mercenary Longbowmen, or, for the French, Scots Guards and Swiss Pikemen
• Take up the fight as Austria, Bavaria, Bohemia, Brittany, Burgundy, Denmark, England, Flanders, France, Friesland, Guelders, Helvetia, Poland, Savoy, Saxony, Scotland, Wales, or Genoa itself, each completely different
• Advance your civilisation on one of two paths by making essential policy decisions, affecting the future of your people
• New buildings, technologies, and units, from the ordinances of the Princely Court to the might of each faction’s hero
• Amass armies of lancers, batteries of ribalds; raise urban militias or chivalric hosts
• Research new, civ-specific, technologies, such as English Longbowmen or Welsh Border Forts
• Regicide and wonder games are given new depth with named rulers and monuments to protect or kill
• Discover the history of each of the 18 countries – plus special articles on the period’s conflicts and warriors
• Historical 8-scenario campaign takes you through some of the major events of the period (the battle of Bouvines, the Barons’ War, the conquest of West Friesland, the battle of Kortrijk, the start of the Hundred Years War, the siege of Maastricht, the battle of Vitkov Hill and the siege of Neuss)
Comes with auto-installer – no more hassle moving files about!
Some statistics: by 28 July 2009, Age of Chivalry has achieved over 17 000 downloads, 125+ comments, at least 1600 replies on discussion boards, and 9 straight 5.0 reviews (the maximum attainable score).